Monday, April 16, 2012

on my mind monday 4.16.12

news | photo: mconnors
It's never the same thing two weeks in a row.  This is a snapshot of what I find interest; health, nutrition, and holistic living.  Here's what's on my mind.

Fertilizers causing global warming - according to scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, there is now ample scientific evidence pointing at fertilizers as a significantly affecting the environment.  The scientists figured out how to "fingerprint" the nitrogen isotope ratio and highlight it's changes to greenhouse gases.  The study does not recommend stopping all fertilizer use, sadly, however it does recommend significantly changing how fertilizers are used in the agricultural industry.

Six reasons to switch to reusable bags - I'm a big proponent of reusable bags.  If pictures of the Trash Vortex are not enough to convince you, consider that it takes 12,000,000 barrels of oil to make the plastic bags we use in the U.S. each year.  I not only use them at the grocery store, I have started taking them into other stores as well.  While my family is not 100% plastic bag free, we are certainly far reduced from what we were and week by week we get better and better.  We've even started using reusable produce bags which are great, especially in the bulk bin section.



Another great TEDx presentation - this one focuses on how agriculture is changing the face of the planet.

Salsa - October was National Salsa Month but this is the time of year when I love to eat it the most.  Especially with "chips" made out of fresh veggies such as zucchini or yellow squash slices and sweet bell peppers.  Salsa with a splash of olive oil is also a great way to top of a delicious spring salad with some of the yummy greens that are coming into season in my area.   The link is to a previous posting where I share my delicious basic salsa recipe.

Food Book Fair 2012 - This is such a neat idea that I'm finding it hard to believe it has not happened before this.  I'm also really sad that I will not be able to go as I'm sure it's going to be a really neat event.   I am, of course, making note of all of the books listed by all of the speakers and will have to figure out a way to shoehorn those into my current reading list (which is far too full as it is).  I plan to keep an eye on this event and see what sorts of news and food activism items come out of it.

No comments: