Tuesday, July 26, 2011

psoriasis can be cured

Psoriasis | photo: James Heilman, MD
Recently it was announced on the interwebs that a certain celebrity had been diagnosed with psoriasis.  The reason/cause for her condition was attributed to stress.  This is certainly a strong possibility as psoriasis can be an autoimmune response and as those of us with autoimmune disorders know, stress is a huge trigger.

I was saddened to hear that this young person didn't feel that she could slow down her lifestyle.  Nor was there any mention of the possibility of the influence of diet.

As long-time readers know, I am a huge fan of food as a basis for health.  While I certainly do not believe that food is the only cure, I do know from years of working with lots of different people that food can be a large part of the answer.  When we eat the way our bio-individual body needs us to we can help the ourselves to be healthier.  I'm a believer in Integrative Medicine -- there is room for both in the equation, in fact it would be silly to discount either side in a food versus medicine tug-of-war.  Learning about diet and the influence of food and nutrition on the body can be an empowering experience for many people.

This case especially caught my attention due to someone I have been working with who has experienced  a successful dietary transition.  I'd like to share her testimonial here:

"In 1995 following a life threatening flare-up of ulcerative colitis, my large intestine was surgically removed. The last two feet of the small intestine was used to create a new internal abdominal “J-Pouch.” Many pouch recipients experience complete restoration of health following this procedure. Some do not, and I fell into this category. Instead of returning to a healthy, active lifestyle, I became plagued with chronic J-Pouch infections requiring heavy steroid and antibiotic use that lasted several years. With the help of a strong probiotic, the flare-ups became less chronic and in time my health improved.


Unfortunately I developed a new health concern... scalp psoriasis that gradually spread to my elbows and trunk. I experienced some other nagging symptoms -- itching, mild fatigue, and brain fog to name a few. The chronic scalp psoriasis required daily use of a strong topical prescription steroid that barely controlled the problem. I asked my dermatologist if there were recommended dietary changes that might improve the psoriasis, and the response was there was no known diet that proved effective in clearing psoriasis.


This is where Mira comes in. Following a full scope assessment and using her health and nutrition expertise, Mira shared her results -- I was suffering with a systemic Candida yeast overgrowth most likely caused by prolonged steroid and antibiotic use. Mira presented the course of treatment, including a diet that would discontinue feeding the candida. Following a strict two weeks of dietary changes, I was amazed at the results. I skeptically stopped using the topical steroids, sure the psoriasis would return with a vengeance. It did not, and the results were amazing! "  D.R. 2011

This wonderful woman has experienced so much improvement with her psoriasis and we continue to work together to refine her health and address her overall nutrition.

I hope that the young celebrity challenged with psoriasis manages to find a connection to someone with a background in holistic nutrition to help her learn to better understand the needs of her body.  I also hope that she finds the time to slow down and be easier on herself.  We only have one body and our health is so important.  We need to remember to be kind to ourselves.

No comments: