Thursday, July 28, 2011

small batch cookie

Every now and then the urge for a cookie hits me.  I don't buy them because most of them are loaded with ingredients that I don't need or want in my pantry.  But baking a batch of cookies is overwhelming because most of them make at least two dozen and having that many cookies in the house is too much of a temptation.

At the library I saw the book Small Batch Baking.  It looked really interesting so I checked it out and realized that this is a great way to satisfy that sugar urge without overdoing it.  Most of the recipes make just enough for dessert.  No more dozens of cookies or huge cakes waiting in ambush in the kitchen.  This is a wonderful option when that sugar urge hits without having to have all those leftovers.

The other day I was in the mood for a cookie; I changed a few of the ingredients to make a vegan, gluten-free small batch of chocolate chip cookies based on the recipe from Small Batch Baking.  I reduced the sugar because I didn't want anything too sweet, just a hint of sugar to satisfy that craving.

The recipe needs a little refinement as the cookies ran more than I liked so they were flatter/thinner than I wanted.  I prefer a chocolate chip cookie that is a little thicker and gooier and these were more crispy.  Feel free to try it and see what you think.

Small Batch VGF Chocolate Chippers


2 T. plus 2 t. coconut oil (this is probably what made them spread so much)
3 T. evaporated cane juice crystals
2 T. ground flax seed
2 T. water
1/4 t. vanilla
1/4 C. plus 2 T. GF flour
1/4 t. baking soda
generous pinch sea salt
1/4 C. dark chocolate chips

preheat oven to 375 F
cream coconut oil and sucanat together
mix flax seed, water and vanilla together
add to coconut oil and sucanat
mix together dry ingredients and add to wet mixture
add chocolate chips and blend well

drop by tablespoonful onto greased cookie sheet
makes 6 cookies

No comments: