Sunday, August 7, 2011

rotation diet

A couple of people have asked me to explain how exactly a rotation diet works.  As I mentioned in my last post it is writing out a plan of what you can eat and not repeating a food more than once every four days.  This often allows people to eat foods without building up sensitivities to them because they are not overexposed to the proteins in those particular foods.

Here is an example.  When it comes to nuts my favorites are almonds and cashews.  While I eat a lot of almonds, according to my testing I can no no longer eat cashews, brazil nuts, pistachios, pecans, or walnuts.  If I eat almonds every day there is a possibility that I will eventually become very sensitive to the proteins in the almonds and then I will not be able to eat them anymore.  By avoiding the ones that I am sensitive to for 3-6 months and by doing a GI Restore Program, I can quite possibly heal my insides to the point that I can eat some of those again.

In order to avoid creating more sensitivities for myself I follow a rotation that goes like this:

Day 1 - almonds
Day 2 - filberts
Day 3 - pepitas
Day 4 - peanuts

And yes, I know, peanuts are not a nut but we eat them that way so that's where they are in the rotation. This pattern applies to each category, fruit, vegetables, proteins, etc.   Some people need to follow a rotation diet all the time.  I am hoping that is not the case here, but if it is I'm at least grateful to know that I have a plan that appears to be working for me right now.

No comments: