Wednesday, May 30, 2012

roasted corn salad

roasted corn salad
I love summer and summer food.  For me there is nothing better on a hot day than a quick simple barbecue with lots of tasty side salads.  My sister-in-law is a genius at the side salad thing, probably because she grew up in Texas where all my friends seem to be good at that.   Me?  Well, it's a learned thing, mostly started by her generous gift of two cookbooks loaded with salad recipes.

This is my latest creation.  It was late by the time we ate and I was too hungry to stop and get out the camera.  When I remembered to take this picture there was, I kid you not, only three spoonfuls of salad left.  That's how good it is.  The general family consensus is that it's a keeper.  Hope you think it is too.

Roasted Corn Salad - 5-6 servings

3 ears of corn
1 red bell pepper diced
3 spring onions, cleaned and diced
1/2 cup celery diced
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 small bunch of cilantro minced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small lime juiced
sea salt and pepper to taste

Shuck the corn and cook in a pot of water until just starting to boil
Remove from the water, pat dry and place on a medium high grill
Turn corn occasionally to prevent burning
     (although my guinea pigs family says the darker bits are tasty too)
When corn is slightly browned all over remove from grill
Using a sharp knife remove kernels from cob and place into a bowl
Add bell pepper, spring onions, celery, garlic, and cilantro
Mix well
In a separate container whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper
Pour dressing over corn salad and toss well to coat evenly

1 comment:

Meg said...

Thanks for the recipe. I was trying to figure out what to make tonight on this very hot day.