Thursday, December 1, 2011

holiday roundup

The holidays are rapidly approaching.  I often get questions about what would be a good eco-friendly/healthy gift to give.  Because I seem to be suggesting the same ideas to a lot of people I thought it would make sense to share my top ten list.  In no particular order they are:


  1.  Stainless Steel Drink Staws - These are on my wish list and I think they make a great gift for anyone.  Environmentally friendly and strong enough for travel it's a great way to take your straw with you.
  2. Mesh Reusable Produce Bags - I have these and think they are fabulous.  Very eco-friendly, easy to use, I often get positive comments from cashiers and other shoppers.
  3. Nourishing Traditions - I own a thumb-marked, dog-eared copy of this book.  For those who are getting started with whole food nutrition this is a great beginning.  For those who have started and want to learn more it's a wonderful resource.  Definitely one of my top book recommendations.
  4. Blendtec 40-609-BHMV 2-Quart Blender Jar - I think the Blendtec products are good ones.  For those of you who are getting into green smoothies this is a must have in order to make them.
  5.  Green Smoothies Diet - and if you're going to start making Green Smoothies you need the book that got it all started by Robyn Openshaw.
  6. CuisinartSmart Stick Hand Blender - I have this and it is one of my all-time favorite appliances.  Quite frankly I'm not sure what I would do without it, I seem to use it almost every day.
  7. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day - Store bought bread often has all sorts of chemical ingredients in it, dough conditioners, preservatives and the like.  For those who want to skip those unhealthy ingredients and learn to make bread at home this is a great place to start.
  8. 7-Quart Oval Slow Cooker, White - I love my slow cooker and use it frequently.  I've even use it overnight to make breakfast.
  9. Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook - if you're going to give a slow cooker you probably want to throw in a cookbook to go with it.  This is one of my favorite slow-cooker cookbooks I use it quite often.

  10. To-Go Ware Reusable Bamboo Utensil Set - and for all those eaters out there...your very own, eco-friendly tableware.  I carry a set with me all the time in my purse and it has often come in handy.  Inexpensive and good to have, consider this as a stocking stuffer.


    No comments: